Get The Mold Here:
To make the Cakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an oven safe 6 cavity silicone half sphere pan with baking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together the eggs and sugar on medium speed for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture is pale yellow, has doubled in volume and ribbons form, about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and begin spooning in the dry ingredients a little at a time. Mix until fully absorbed.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into each cavity and place the pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the cakes are golden and springy in the middle, about 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
To make the Pastry Cream: (Get the Recipe Here)
- Add the rum and water to a small bowl.
- Transfer the cooled cream to a disposable pastry bag or a plastic zipper top bag with a corner snipped off.
- Using a very sharp knife slice the domes off the tops of the cakes so they have a straight edge.
- Slice the cakes in half, making sure the bottom piece is at least 1/2 inch thick.
- Brush both halves of the cake with the rum and water mixture.
- Pipe a thin layer of the pastry cream on the bottom half and top with the rounded tops of cake. If any cream peaks out, smooth it out with a knife or a spatula so that it’s flush.
To make the glaze:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the confectioners sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Position the cakes on top of a wire rack with some height to it.
- Spoon the glaze over the cakes, making sure all sides are well coated. Top with a candied cherry allow the glaze to dry completely before handling.
- Place inside jumbo paper cupcake liners.