Tomato Sauce Preparation:
- In a saucepan, add 4 Tbs of EV olive oil and the chopped onion. Once the onion becomes translucent, add the tomato sauce.
- Stir and cook at low flame for about 15 minutes. Save for later.
- In a bowl, add all the pastella ingredients and mix well. Add 1 cup of water and continue to mix. Add more water as needed to make the pastella rather liquid.
- Peel the eggplants and slice them longway about 1/4 inch thick.
- Dip the slices of eggplant in the pastella and fry them in olive oil.
- Once they turn golden, remove them from the oil and remove any excess oil with paper towels. Fry the rest of the slices of eggplant.
- Take a deep oven pan and coat the bottom with a generous coating of the tomato sauce.
- Deposit one layer of the eggplants to cover the entire bottom.
- Add a thin coating of tomato sauce on each slice of eggplant followed by a sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese and mozzarella cubes.
- Cover the entire surface with a layer of Mortadella.
- Repeat the layering process until you reach the top of the pan.
- The last layer of eggplants should be covered with a generous coating of tomato sauce and Parmigiano and finally with whole slices of mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 400F.
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes and serve.