Ossobuco in Gremolata ___
For the Ossobuco:
- 2 veal shanks about 1 inch thick and 5 inches across
- 0.5 onion
- 2 cups chopped portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- all purpose flour
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
For the Gremolata:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 leaves of sage
- fresh parsley
- 1 lemon
- In a saute pan add 1/2 stick of butter and let it melt. Add 1/2 onion chopped very finely and let it cook until it becomes translucent.
- Take the Ossobuchi and at the edges, every one inch, make a 1/2 inch cut to prevent the meat from curling while it is cooking.
- In a bowl with flour, add salt and pepper, mix well and dip the meat into it to get a complete coating of flour.
- Remove the onions from the pan and put aside.
- Add 1/2 stick of butter to the pan and let it melt.
- Sautee the Ossobuchi until they are golden brown on all sides.
- Add the onions back in as well as 1 cup of dry white wine. Tip: with a wooden spoon, scrape all the meat particles from the bottom of the pan as they will become part of the sauce.
- Cook until the alcohol evaporates and add 1 1/2 cups of beef broth.
- Cover and let it simmer for 1 1/2 hours. If it gets too dry add some more broth.
- In another saute pan, add 4 Tbs of EV olive oil. Chop the mushrooms in quarters or small pieces and add them to the pan.
- Cook the mushrooms for about 5 mins. or until they are soft and brownish. Add 1 cup of white wine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the mushrooms cook until wine evaporates.
- Once the Ossobuchi are completely cooked, remove them from the pan and put them on a serving platter. Do not discard the sauce at the bottom of the pan.
- Crush two cloves of garlic, 4 leaves of sage, 2 sprigs of rosemary and parsley. Add the zest of 1/2 lemon and chop everything very finely.
- Add everything to the pan containing the sauce of the Ossobuchi and cook for 2-3 minutes at medium flame.
- Put some of the mushrooms on the serving platter next to the Ossobuchi.
- Pour the Gremolata on top of the Ossosuchi and the mushrooms.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.