For the Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.25 cup butter
- 0.25 cup Crisco or Lard
- 0.25 cup milk
For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg, beaten, for the egg wash
To make custard:
- Sift the cornstarch and sugar then put in a saucepan.
- Add the milk and heavy cream and whisk lightly until you obtain a smooth mixture.
- Whisk in the egg, then heat on medium until custard thickens.
- Mix in the butter and almond extract. Remove from heat and cover custard with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming while it cools.
To make pastry:
- In a food processor add the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Pulse until all mixed.
- Add the butter and Crisco then pulse until mixture looks like crumbly cornmeal.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla and mix until dough starts to form a ball.
- Turn out dough onto a board and lightly work dough until its smooth.
- Divide dough into two flattened rounds, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Starting with the first piece of dough, place it onto a floured board. Roll it out to 1/4" thick.
- Using a 3 inch pastry cutter or glass, cut out 12 rounds.
- Place each round into the mould and press into mould to remove all air.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of the custard to each of the moulds.
- Cover each with a 3" round of dough.
- Let chill in refrigerator for an hour or overnight.
- Brush tops with egg wash, then bake at 425° for 15 -18 minutes.