Pasta with Sardines - Pasta con Sarde
Pasta with Sarde... perhaps the best known Sicilian dish around the world!
For 2 Person(s)
For the Pasta:
- 1/2 pound Bucatini pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium sized sardines (Remove head and bones)
- 4 fillets of anchovies in oil
- 1/2 pound fennel leaves
- 2 tablespoons pinoli (pine nuts)
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- fresh pepper
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- extra virgin olive oil
- Put the bucatini to cook in boiling water.
- In a pot of water put to boil the fennel leaves cut in 3 parts.
- In a saute` pan, saute` the chopped onion and garlic in olive oil.
- As the garlic turns blonde add the sardines and the anchovies. Break up the sardines and the anchovies with a wooden spoon in large chuncks.
- After 3 minutes add the currants and the pignoli.
- Saute` for 1 minute and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add hot pepper to taste.
- Remove the fennel leaves from the hot water, chop into small pieces and add into the saute` pan.
- In a pot with 2 cups of hot water add the saffron and let it melt. This water will be used to color the bucatini.
- Drain the bucatini and put back into the pot. Pour the saffron water and stir for a few seconds. Drain the bucatini again and pour in a serving bowl.
- Pour the sarde sauce over the bucatini. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook
PS: You can also garnish the bucatini with toasted bread crumbs