Pizza Rustica: A rich and delicious pie perfect for the Easter Holidays.
For 8 Person(s)
For the Dough:
- 4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
For the Filling:
- 2 pounds fresh ricotta (drained for at least 2 days)
- 1/2 pound grated ricotta salata
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 4 large eggs
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 pound sopressata, sliced
For the Glaze:
- 1 large egg
- Make a well with the sifted flour.
- Dilute the yeast in warm water and pour into the well.
- Add all the other dough ingredients and mix well until you have a dough ball.
- If dough is too soft, add some flour... if too hard... add some warm water.
- Knead dough until smooth and set aside in a warm location of the house covered with a kitchen towel for 2 hours.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mixture should not be too soft. Set aside.
- Roll out 1/2 of the dough with a rolling pin. If the dough sticks to the pin, coat it with flour.
- Lay the dough onto a 16" pizza pan.
- Put the ricotta mixture onto the dough, leaving a 1" lip clear of mixture.
- Line up the top of the mixture with slices of Sopressata. Press them slightly into the mixture.
- With a pastry brush, put warm water around the lip.
- Roll out the other half of the dough. Put it on top and press ends together with the tip of a fork.
- Beat one egg (whole) in a mixing bowl.
- Brush the egg over the pie.
- Poke tiny holes in the pie before placing in the oven.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Pie cooks in approx. 40 minutes or until golden brow, both top and bottom.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook
How Can You Cook Without it?
Please Follow me on Instagram!