I have been making this recipe with my Nonna Antoinette Pandolfo every Easter since I was a kid growing up in the sixties. This recipe is one of our family favorites and hails from Campabasso, Molise, Italy. I hope you all enjoy this Easter treat as much as we do.
For 3 Person(s)
For the Dough:
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg yolks for brushing
For the Filling:
- 2 pounds hard salami
- 1/2 pound prosciutto (not cut too thin)
- 1/2 pound sopressata
- 3 pounds basket cheese - homemade
- 1 pound ricotta - homemade
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teasponn black pepper
- To Make Dough:
- In a large bowl add all dry ingredients and whisk to mix.
- Next, scramble eggs with water then add to flour.
- If dough is too wet, add more flour.
- If too dry, add more water.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
- On a floured knead dough by hand for a couple of minutes.
- Dough should be soft and shiny. Set aside until ready for use.
- To Make Filling:
- In a large bowl, shred basket cheese.
- Next cut salami and sopprasata into 1/4" cubes.
- Add rest of ingredients (except prosciutto) and mix well.
- Next, cut off a 1/3 size piece of dough.
- Roll it out to about 1/8" thick and 15" round.
- Spoon 1/3 of the mixture onto 1 side of the dough.
- Be sure to leave a 1" border so you can seal pie.
- Place a layer of prosciutto over the top of mixture.
- Flip the other side of the dough onto cheese mixture to cover.
- Pie should be half moon shaped.
- Make 3/4" cuts along edge of pie and fold over to seal.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cut three 1 inch air slits for vents on top of pie.
- Brush with egg yolk.
- Bake at 350° for about one hour. Pie should be golden brown, Remove from sheet and let rest on brown paper bags until cooled.
- I use cut paper supermarket bags.
- Wrap with foil and refrigerate or freeze for later consumption.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook...
The Best Mother's Day Gift For Your
Mamma & Nonna!
Please Follow me on Instagram!
You can seal the pie edges any way that you would like, however I fold it as described for family tradition.