St. Joseph's Bread
St. Joseph's Bread... keep the tradition going!
For 1 Person(s)
For the Bread:
- 2/3 cup warm milk, 110F
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed or 1 teaspoon anise extract
- egg wash: 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- sesame seeds
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Stir the yeast into the warm milk and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add 1 cup of flour, sugar, salt, and melted butter. Beat the mixture with the paddle attachment for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, anise seed or extract, and another cup of flour. Beat for 2 more minutes.
- Change from the paddle attachment to a dough hook. Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough starts to come together. You may not need to add all of the flour. Then allow the dough hook to knead the dough on medium for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 20 - 22-inch rope. Place the 2 ropes on a parchment lined baking sheet.Loosely twist the ropes together, tucking the ends under. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 - 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the loaf with the eggwash and sprinkle liberally with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
This freezes and thaws well! From the Mangia Bene Pasta website..