Baked Ziti with Eggplant and Prosciutto
Baked Ziti with Eggplant and Prosciutto.
For 6 Person(s)
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 28 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 teasponn salt
- 4 leaves fresh basil, torn
For the Baked Ziti:
- 1 pound ziti pasta
- 2 small Sicilian eggplant, or 1 Large regular Eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch thick round slices, unpeeled
- olive oil for frying
- 4 slices Prosciutto di Parma, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, shredded or chopped into small cubes
- Put a saucepan over a medium flame and heat the oil. Add the garlic and saute until golden, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, salt and basil and lower the flame to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes while stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Put a saute pan over a medium-high flame and heat the olive oil. Fry in batches until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per batch. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Drop the pasta in the water and cook about half the time of the package instructions. Drain and run under cold running water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread about 1 cup of sauce at the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add about half the ziti and add another layer of sauce. top with half the eggplant, half the prosciutto, half the parmigiano cheese and half the mozzarella. Add the rest of the pasta and top with the remaining eggplant, sauce, prosciutto and parmigiano. Bake for 30 minutes. Add the remaining mozzarella and bake an additional 10 minutes.
To make the sauce:
To make the Baked Ziti:
To assemble the baked Ziti: