An Italian type cookie/roll that was made by my grandmother Carmela only at Easter and Christmas time. We called them Pintenchusia. My grandparents were from Sersale Italy.
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Dough:
- 1 package of yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (100-110 temp)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 8 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups shortening
For the Filling:
- several cups of chopped walnuts and raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cinnamon
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- Add eggs when cooled down and beat.
- Add vanilla and sugar and beat again.
- In another bowl :
- Use 4 cups of the flour and mix with the shortening and crumble like you were making a pie dough.
- When crumbly start mixing in the other 4 cups of flour (I do this all in my kitchen aide with kneading attachment)
- Slowly add the milk and eggs mixture and knead till soft and smooth.
- Let dough rise for an hour in a warm place.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces, keeping the ones not being used, covered.
- Roll the dough out into a large(somewhat rectangular) and make as thin as possible.
- When dough is is completely rolled out cover thinly with Crisco oil. Then cover with sugar, I use my hand and make a layer over the whole dough; then cover with cinnamon,
- Add raisins and nuts (walnuts) to your liking covering the whole sheet.
- Starting at one edge fold over the dough about one inch, and then cut into strips one at a time roll each one from both ends to make a pastry type roll.
- Place into a Corning ware baking pan that has been oiled with Crisco
- (I used coconut oil yesterday and it worked better than anything I have ever used for removing after they are baked)
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, covered and then turn down to 325 uncovered and continue baking for about 30-45 minutes, till a light golden brown.
- Be sure to let sit for only 10 minutes and then take out of pan carefully and cool another 15-30 minutes and then slowly and carefully take them apart.
- Cool completely and then glaze with icing for an added touch.
- Store in air tight container.