Polpettone di Tacchino - Turkey Meat Loaf
Turkey Meat Loaf: Every so often, I like to reinvent an old Italian recipe into a healthier version. This is the result...and very tasty also!
For 6 Person(s)
For the Meatloaf:
- 1 1/2 ground turkey meat
- 3 slices of multigrain bread, crumbled into fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped red peppers
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 of an envelope of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- ground pepper
- 1 bag of frozen spinach, cooked, drained and chopped
- Mix all the ingredients above, except the hard boiled eggs.
- If you like, you can add the spinach also. I left them out in this picture because my youngest daughter does not like spinach.
- Heat your oven to 375F.
- Let the mixture sit a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, butter a loaf pan.
- Use a little more than half the mixture to line the bottom of the loaf pan.
- Place the 3 hard boiled eggs in the middle of the loaf, side by side lengthwise.
- Cover with the remaining mixture, making sure the eggs are covered and sealed inside.
- Drizzle ketchup on top of meatloaf, in a zig-zag pattern
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Shut off oven and let the meatloaf sit for a few minutes before serving.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook!
This meatloaf makes a great presentation, especially with kids. The egg peaking out of the center is a nice surprise for them! The fact that it has healthy ingredients is an added satisfaction for parents. :)
It was easy to make and very tasty - feltrin