Zeppole: everyone loves them... little kids and very big kids too!
For 3 Dozen(s)
For the Zeppole:
- 1 pound all purpose flour
- 2 medium boiled potatoes
- 1/4 ounce active dry yeast
- pinch of salt
- granulated sugar or powder sugar
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- olive oil for frying
- In a large bowl add the flour and the mashed potatoes.
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water, add a pinch of salt and add to the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients well and work the dough for about 5 minutes. Alternatively you can use a stand mixer.
- The consistency of the dough should be rather soft. Add a bit of extra water or flour to adjust.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm environment for about 1 hour.
- Get your oil very hot in a deep frying pan and with a spoon drop strands of dough in irregular shapes.
- Turn the dough in the oil until it is golden in color. Remove the Zeppole from the oil and quickly sprinkle with a generous dose of granulated sugar on all sides. Alternatively you can use powder sugar.
This recipe is delicious!! i recommend it :) - sud_italiano
So good - Enzacri
Just the way my Gmom made 'em - Joe R
My mother would make these without the potatoes and she called them fingies. - mmsurvivor
Wonderful - Rjwent74
never did it with mash potatoes gram always made them were napolidon/calabrace and hungarian - blue2602001