Cannoli Cookies... when you want to make a great impression at a party with cookies that will quickly disappear.
For 4 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta, room temperature
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk, plus more if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Decorating:
- crushed pistachios and candied cherries to decorate
- To make the Cookies:
- Place the pistachios in the bowl of a food processor and process until coarsely chopped, about 15-20 seconds. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon and zest. Beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the egg and the ricotta.
- Add in the dry ingredients little by little until a dough forms. Mix in the pistachios and chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon, roll the dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. The bottoms of the cookies should slightly brown. Cool completely before glazing.
- To make the Glaze:
- In a bowl mix together the confectioners sugar, vanilla and milk until a smooth glaze forms. Add less milk for a thicker glaze or more for a thinner glaze. Spoon over the cookies and decorate with chopped pistachios and candied cherries.