Christmas Biscottini... a delicious almond paste cookie from Puglia.
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 1 pound raw almonda
- 1/2 pound sugar
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 3 egg whites
For the Icing:
- 3/4 pound powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- colored sugar for decoration
- To prepare the paste, boil the almonds and remove the peel. Once they are cold and somewhat dry, put them in a food processor or a blender and chop them finely.
- Put the chopped almonds in a bowl, add the lemon zest, the sugar and egg whites. Mix until the egg whites dilute the sugar and the mixture becomes a paste.
- Take a lump of dough, roll it into a stick about 8" long and 1/2" thick. Press with a fork to flatten it and create ridges with the teeth of the fork. Cut the strip of dough with a knife in rhomboid shapes about 1 1/2" long.
- Place all the cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 10 mins. at 350F. Let them cool.
- Make your icing my mixing the milk and sugar. The icing should be a thick liquid.
- With a brush apply the icing on each cookie to cover the top.
- While the icing is still wet sprinkle the colored sugar on top and decorate to your liking.
- Let the icing dry completely for several hours.
Use the Code CWN20 to Get 20% OFF
On my New T-Shirts!