Easy Homemade Ricotta Cheese
Creamy, dreamy ricotta cheese made in your kitchen! So easy and delicious you won't be buying from the market anymore.
For 2 Batch(es)
For the Ricotta:
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
Try La Pasta della Nonna in
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Measure milk and cream and heat on medium heat in a 6 quart sauce pot.
- Attach the thermometer to the side of your pan being careful to keep from touching the bottom with the end of the thermometer.
- Gradually heat the mixture and gently stir occaisionally (to keep the milk from scalding).
- Heat to 190'~at this point the mixture will be very hot and frothy.
- Remove from the stove and stir in the salt and lemon juice~gently.
- Stir a couple of times in a five minute span.
- Place the straining cloth or cheese cloth over the sieve or colander.
- If you want to save the whey~the liquid that drains away from the curd~place the sieve or colander over a mixing bowl or larger pot.
- Drain for 1 hour.
- Place in a clean covered container and refrigerate until you need it.
- It should last a few days.
If a creamier ricotta is desired use half and half and cream. If a drier less caloric ricotta is desired use low fat milk and half&half. Vinegar can be used in place of lemon juice as well as lime juice. The flavor will not change. Enjoy!