Italian Squash (Cucuzza)
We used to grow this kind of squash (cucuzza) in our back yard. This type of squash is very, very long. This one was givien to me by my sister in law... from her back yard.
- Peel the Italian Squash ((cucuzza) and cut into pieces... 2-3 inches (then cut pieces in half).
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Peel about 4-5 large Potatoes and cut them in 4-6 pcs... depends on how big they are.
- Put 1/4 cup of EVOO in the 6 Qt. pot... heat oil for about 1 minute... then...
- Add the cut potatoes and continue to saute (med heat) (stir every few minutes) for about 10 minutes then.
- Add the sliced onions to the pot and continue to saute` (med heat) (stir every few minutes) for about 15 minutes.
- Add the 1/2 cup of Italian Red Sauce and contiune to saute` (stir every few minutes) until the potatoes start to get a little bit soft.... then.....
- Add the cut Italian Squash (cucuzza) and the 3 1/2 cups of water into the pot. Also add salt & pepper to your taste (stir every few minutes)
- Cook until potatoes and squash are tender (but not too soft).
- Serve in a bowl with a loaf of Italian Bread
Please Follow me on Instagram!
This dish is good on a cold winter day.... as well as any other day. Enjoy
Fresh grown cucuzza (Italian Squash) makse a great side dish or even as a meal. Enjoy!! - Mimi
Hi we have this every summer with cucuzza\'s from our garden, my mom and dad are sicilian, and taugh...
See Full Review >> - Mariadavola1