Butternut Squash Risotto
Slow roasted squash infuses this risotto for a heavenly creamy dish.
For 6 Person(s)
For the Risotto:
- 1 butternut squash ( approx. 2 lbs)
- 2 cups carnaroli rice
- 7 cups chicken stock (use vegetable stock for lower fat content)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds and place flesh down on a baking tray.
- Roast in a 400*F oven for 45 minutes or until very soft and caramelized. Remove from oven, peel and set aside.
- Bring stock to a simmer in a pot on stove top.
- In another large pot heat 4 tbsp. olive oil and saute onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes on medium heat (do not burn garlic!)
- Now add the rice and stir constantly for approximately 2 minutes making sure to coat rice evenly with oil.
- Rice should be warm throughout but not burning.
- Add squash to pot and stir until well blended with rice.
- Add wine and stir until absorbed by rice.(approx 2-3 minutes)
- Begin adding 1 ladle at a time of stock and stirring occasionally until rice absorbs it, and repeat this process until stock is used.
- A good simmer is all you need, boiling will cause stock to evaporate too quickly.
- This process should take 25-30 minutes.
- At this point the risotto should be \"al dente\" (subtley firm) to the bite but very creamy.
- Plate risotto and add Parmigiano shavings, serve immediately.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook
This risotto obtains its creamy texture from the cooking process. A true ITALIAN risotto does not need the addition of heavy creams to make a deilicious velvety texture . Enjoy!