Italian Cherry Loaf Cake
Italian Cherry Loaf Cake.
For 1 Batch(es)
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 packets Vanillina powder, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 kosher salt
- 2 heaping cups fresh cherries, pitted or frozen cherries
- Confectioners sugar, for dusting
- Yield: One Cake
- Get the Products needed for this recipe HERE
- If using frozen cherries: Thaw completely and drain any excess liquid before using.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl. Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the yogurt and mix on medium, scraping the sides if necessary, until thoroughly mixed.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs, one at a time, making sure each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next egg. Add the vanillina and almond extract, and beat to combine. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix the ingredients together until just combined, being careful to not overmix.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of cherries for topping the cake, and slice them in half. Set aside. Add the remaining 1 2/3 cups cherries to a bowl and add the 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour. Coat the cherries evenly with the flour and set aside.
- Add 1/3 of the cake batter to the prepared loaf pan.
- Next, evenly sprinkle ½ of the floured cherries on top of the layer. Add another 1/3 of the cake batter, and top with the rest of the floured cherries. Add the last third of batter, and decoratively top it with the reserved slice cherries.
- Bake for 65 to 80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is evenly golden brown.
- Remove to a rack to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar for serving.