Italian Thanksgiving Turkey
A classic Italian Thanksgiving Turkey made with the Italian touch! Not just any stuffing... a stuffing of delicious Porcini Risotto and much more!
The video of this recipe is now available on the Cooking with Nonna Roku Channel and you can enjoy it on a large screen TV in the comfort of your living room.
For 15 Person(s)
For the Turkey:
- 1 turkey - of about 15 pounds
- 2 cups fresh Porcini mushrooms or other type of fresh mushrooms diced in small pieces
- 2 links hot Italian sausage
- 2 links mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 10 chestnuts - boiled
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 large onions
- 10 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- hot pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Sticks of butter
- chicken broth
- dry white wine
- 1 head celery
- 10 carrots
- 1 apple
- Stuffing Preparation:
- In a large saute` pan, add about 5 Tbs of EV olive oil and one sliced onion.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the minced garlic.
- Chop the fresh rosemary, sage, oregano and thyme and add to the pan.
- Add a cup of chicken broth to prevent from burning.
- Add the fresh Porcini mushrooms (you can also use dry Porcini mushrooms, soak in lukewarm water before using) or any other type of fresh mushrooms that you may have.
- Stir and salt as desired. You can also add some hot pepper as desired.
- Add the fresh parsley coarsely chopped.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and add to the pan. Break up the sausage in the pan in small pieces.
- Saute the sausage and add 1 cup of dry white wine.
- Cover the pan with a lid and continue to saute` for about 10 mins.
- Risotto Preparation:
- In a large saute` pan, add 1/2 stick of butter and 3 Tbs of EV olive oil.
- Once the butter has melted, slowly add the Arborio rice to the pan and stir continuously so that the rice will coat itself with the liquids.
- Add 1 cup of dry white wine and continue to stir.
- Once the wine is almost totally absorbed, add one cup of chicken broth and continue to stir.
- Add the chestnuts and stir.
- Add the grated Pecorino Romano cheese and stir.
- Add the grated Parmigiano cheese and stir.
- After the cheese has melted completely, pour all the content of the other pan into the Risotto.
- Mix well and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Assembly of the Turkey:
- Clean and wash well your turkey in cold water and then give him a nice bath/wash in apple cider vinegar. Dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Take a large Roaster pan with a rack and add the carrots, the celery and one onion cut into large pieces.
- Add 2 cups of white wine and 2 cups of chicken broth.
- Position the turkey on the rack and fill its stomach with the Risotto stuffing.
- Close the neck opening with an apple.
- Tie the legs. Tie the wing and spread butter all over the body.
- Cover the turkey with a dome of aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Cook the turkey at 400F for the first 20 mins. then lower to 300F and continue to cook for 20 mins. for each pound of the turkey.
- Every 30 mins. bathe the turkey.
- Once the cooking time has terminated, remove the aluminum foil and continue to cook the turkey until it browns to your liking.
PS: You will most likely have some leftover stuffing after you fill the bird. Do not worry, put in an oven pan with some vegetables and white wine/chicken broth and bake for the last hour together with the turkey... you will need this extra stuffing as everyone will love it!
Yummi Yummi!! - tlen
Great recipe! Looks delicious, and actually very easy to make. - jmoret
Will definitely give this recipe a try; its a meal on its own... delish! - TinaMB
Very delicious and easy to make----but when do you add the bread crumbs? I added them at the end---...
See Full Review >> - audreygaia