Mezzi Rigatoni with Sausage & Peppers
Mezzi Rigatoni with Sausage & Peppers... an explosion of flavors in your dish!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Pasta:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 medium onion,cut into 1/2 inch dices
- 3 bell peppers (1 red, one green, 1 yellow) washed, seeds removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt, as desired
- red pepper flakes, as desired
- 1 pound mezzi rigatoni pasta
- Put a large sautÃ© pan over a medium-high flame and heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the sausage to the pan and sautÃ© while breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook until completely browned, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining oil and add the onion. Cook until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes and add the peppers and the tomatoes.
- SautÃ© for 5 minutes and add the wine. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until you can no longer smell the alcohol. Taste for seasoning and season with salt and red pepper flakes as desired.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and let everything cook at medium flame for about 10 mins.
- Drop the mezzi rigatoni into generously salted boiling water and cook until slightly under al dente. Add the pasta to the pan and toss for 1-2 minutes. Serve in warm bowls.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook