Polenta Pizza... a great alternative to traditional Pizza!
For 6 Person(s)
For the Sauce:
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 link Italian sausage (out of casing)
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Polenta:
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups dry polenta
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Sauce Preparation:
- Put olive oil in hot pan, add sausage and brown, breaking up meat with spoon, remove and strain excess fat and reserve.
- In same pan add onions and peppers and garlic saute` until slightly browned. Return sausage to pan, add crushed tomatoes, and oregano, simmer 15 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Polenta Preparation:
- In a deep pot, bring liquid to a boil. Slowly whisk in polenta, lower heat and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently with wooden spoon.
- When cooked, stir in parmigiano, and butter. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Then pour hot polenta into ½ sheet pan, smoothing with a rubber spatula.
- Place in refrigerator and let firm up completely.
- Spoon and spread thin layer of sauce evenly over cooled and firm polenta in same sheet pan.
- Top with mozzarella and parmigiano and drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake in oven at 400F until cheese is melted and starts to bubble. Let it cool for 5 minutes and slice like pizza
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook!
You can also use sliced pepperoni instead of sausage, or both. Be sure to add pepperoni last with mozzarella cheese. You may also substitute and add any vegetables you like.