Polenta Pizza... a great alternative to traditional Pizza!
For 6 Person(s)
For the Sauce:
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 link Italian sausage (out of casing)
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Polenta:
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups dry polenta
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Sauce Preparation:
- Put olive oil in hot pan, add sausage and brown, breaking up meat with spoon, remove and strain excess fat and reserve.
- In same pan add onions and peppers and garlic saute` until slightly browned. Return sausage to pan, add crushed tomatoes, and oregano, simmer 15 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Polenta Preparation:
- In a deep pot, bring liquid to a boil. Slowly whisk in polenta, lower heat and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently with wooden spoon.
- When cooked, stir in parmigiano, and butter. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Then pour hot polenta into ½ sheet pan, smoothing with a rubber spatula.
- Place in refrigerator and let firm up completely.
- Spoon and spread thin layer of sauce evenly over cooled and firm polenta in same sheet pan.
- Top with mozzarella and parmigiano and drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake in oven at 400F until cheese is melted and starts to bubble. Let it cool for 5 minutes and slice like pizza
Use the Code CWN20 to Get 20% OFF
On my New T-Shirts!
You can also use sliced pepperoni instead of sausage, or both. Be sure to add pepperoni last with mozzarella cheese. You may also substitute and add any vegetables you like.