Pumpkin Ricotta Zeppole
Pumpkin Ricotta Zeppole .
For 4 Dozen(s)
For the Zeppole:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- olive oil for frying
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Nonna's Cheese Grater
Get one in La Bottega!
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together the ricotta, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet and mix with a spatula until all the dry ingredients are fully absorbed.
- Fill a heavy bottomed saucepan with about 2 inches of oil and heat to 325-350 degrees.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, or 2 spoons, drop the dough into the oil and fry in batches until golden brown. About 1-2 minutes.
*Be careful to monitor the temperature of the oil. If the oil is too hot the zeppole will burn on the outside and be raw on the inside. Using a thermometer is best for maintaining the temperature between 325-350 degrees.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve immediately.