Seven Fishes Seafood Salad
Seven Fishes Seafood Salad... all the 7 fishes you need on Christmas Eve in just one dish! But this dish is not just to be made on Christmas Eve... this is perfect all year round and for all your parties and holidays!
For 10 Person(s)
For the Broth:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 bay leaves, fresh or dry
- 12 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 3 slices of lemon peel
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
For the Mussels:
- 1/2 cup white wine
For the Salad:
- 1 pound tenderized octopus
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 pound calamari
- 1 pound scungilli
- 1 pound scallops
- 1 pound baccala
- 3 pounds mussels
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup green olives with pimento
Dressing for the Salad:
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- pinch of oregano
- salt, as desired
- red pepper flakes, as desired
- Clean and wash all the seven fishes.
- In a pan, add 1/2 cup of white wine and the mussels. Cook the mussels until they have all opened and the fruit is detached from the shell.
- Remove the fruit from the shells of the mussels and set aside.
- Filter the broth of the mussels with cheesecloth and set aside.
- Fill halfway with water a large double boiler pot.
- Add to the water all the ingredients listed above under Broth.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the baccala. Cook it for about 7 mins., remove it from the water and set aside.
- Add to the pot to calamari, cook them for about 5 mins., remove them from the water and set aside.
- Add to the pot, the scallops, cook them for about 5 mins., remove from the water and set aside.
- Add the shrimp, cook them for about 7 mins. (depending on the size), remove them from the water and set aside.
- Add the scungilli to the pot, cook them for about 50 mins., remove them from the pot and set aside.
- Finally add the octopus to the pot, didp the colander in and out two times and then let the octopus cook for about 20 mins., remove from the pot as set aside.
- Take a large bowl, add the mussels, calamari, scallops, shrimp, baccala (shredded by hand, the scungilli sliced and the octopus cut in pieces.
- Mix well all the fishes.
- Add to the bowl the parsley, carrots, celery and the olives. Mix well.
- In a small bowl make the dressing by adding all the ingredients listed above under Dressing. Mix the dressing well and add to the bowl. Mix very well.
- Cover the bowl and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours, overnight preferably.
- Buon Appetito!
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook
Any of the seven fishes can be substituted with any other fish that you prefer or are able to find locally. But in total they must still be 7!!!