Sicilian Fusilli al Forno with Sausage
Sicilian Fusilli al Forno with Sausage.
For 6 Person(s)
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 24oz Jar passata
- 1 salt
- 4 basil leaves, torn
For the besciamella:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Salt and black pepper as desired
For the pasta al forno:
- 3 large hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced into thin slices
- 1 pound dried fusilli pasta
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Get the Products used in this recipe HERE
- To make the sauce:
- Put a saucepan over a medium-high flame and heat the oil. Add the sausage and cook until nicely browned while breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the garlic to the pot and cook until golden, about 1 minute
- Add the passata to the pan along with the salt.
- Fill the jar up 1/4 of the way and slosh it around. Add the water to the pan along with the basil. Bring the pan to a boil and lower the flame to a simmer.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes while stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- To make the besciamella:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk, a large pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens and is the consistency of a thin gravy, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Allow the bechamel sauce to cool slightly. Set aside.
- To make the pasta al forno:
- Drop the pasta into generously salted boiling water. Cook for half the time of the package instructions. Drain and run the pasta under cold running water to stop the cooking process.
- Toss the pasta in the sausage sauce. set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9x13 inch pan. Set aside.
- Add a thin layer of besciamella to the bottom of the pan and follow with half the pasta.
- Top with a layer of sliced eggs and half the mozzarella.
- Repeat the process.
- Finish with the grated parmigiano reggiano cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake until golden, about 30-40 minutes