Spiedini alla Siciliana. One of the traditional recipes from Sicily.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Spiedini:
- 1 pound thin cut beef eye of round
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup pinoli nuts
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- bay leaves, fresh or dry
- salt and pepper
- 2 large onions
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup stewed tomatoes
- Soften the Currants in lukewarm water for a few minutes.
- In a frying pan sauté one of the minced onions in olive oil. Once the onion is a little golden add the bread crumbs into the pan. Stir. You will now add in the stewed tomatoes (use a VERY small amount of mashed stewed tomatoes, the tomatoes are only used to give it color, a red hue.) Mix till bread crumb mixture is combined with the tomatoes and heated through. Remove pan from stove and let it cool.
- In a bowl mix the cooled bread crumbs, pinoli, currants, parsley, salt and pepper (to taste.)
- Add the Pecorino Romano cheese and mix well.
- Cut the other onion into quarters and set aside.
- Have the butcher cut the eye of round very thin and about 2”x3” in size, (if you go to the Italian butcher he will know how to cut it)
- Now make your assembly line: bay leaves, quartered onion, small plate of olive oil, fresh bread crumbs w/salt and pepper to taste, skewers.
- Take 1 slice of beef and apply the cooled bread crumb mixture from the pan. You will place the mixture onto the meat and roll it forward, it will resemble a "pig in a blanket." The amount of bread crumbs will be thin so that you can roll the meat easily.
- Once rolled, roll in the plate of olive oil, roll in the fresh bread crumbs, set aside, and repeat until all the meat is rolled.
- Next take a skewer, apply 1 bay leaf, followed by a Spiedino, then place 1 quartered piece of onion. Repeat sequence until all the Spiedini are on the skewers.
- You have two options of cooking Spiedini, grilling or broiling. If you grill you will grill your Spiedini until the meat is cooked through just like any other meat. If you broil the Spiedini, set your broil temperature on Low so that your Spiedini cook evenly and slowly. Broil to your taste.
- Once you have completed cooking your Spiedini you can serve them directly on the skewers over a bed of fresh Arugula and shavings of Pecorino Romano cheese.
PS: Optionally, the Spiedini can be Barbecued.
Entree Recipes, Meat Recipes, Sicilian Recipes, Intermediate Recipes, All Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Easter Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Super Bowl Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Easter Dinner Recipes, Christmas Dinner Recipes, Barbecue Recipes, Nonna Francesca Balistreri, Mediterranean Diet Entree Recipes, Thanksgiving Entree Recipes, Christmas Entree Recipes, New Year's Eve Recipes, Easter Entree Recipes
My MIL is from Bagheria just outside of Palermo, and this recipe is close to how she and her relativ...
See Full Review >> - intermezzo
This recipe is very close to how my family makes it. We also tenderize the steak with a meat hammer ...
See Full Review >> - hazmatter