Stuffed Mussels - Cozze Nere Ripiene
Stuffed Mussels... when in Puglia... this dish is a must.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Mussels:
- 1 pound fresh mussels
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt & pepper
For the Sauce:
- 56 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- peperoncino, as desired
Get into the Christmas Spirit!
La Dolce Vita Coffee
Pots and Cups are now in Stock!
Get both HERE!!!
- Wash the mussels in fresh water.
- With a knife open each mussel... any mussel that does not appear to be good or the odor is not fresh... discard it. Save any water that comes out of the mussels when you open them as it will be added to the sauce for greater flavor.
- In a bowl prepare the stuffing: add bread crumbs, cheese, olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt & pepper.
- Add the eggs and milk and mix well again until all ingredients are amalgamated well and the consistency is firm.
- Take a scoop of the stuffing and fill each mussel. Put enough stuffing in each mussel to completely fill to mussel to the edges of the shell.
- In large pot, put some oil and garlic. Once the garlic turns golden add the crushed tomatoes and the parsley. Salt and peperoncino to taste.
- Let the tomatoes come to a boil. Add the water you saved from when you opened the mussels. Let everything boil for 10 minutes and then gently add the stuffed mussel into the sauce. The sauce should completely cover the mussels. If necessary add some more sauce.
- Cover the pot and let everything cook at medium to low heat for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley and serve.
Some of the sauce will be absorbed by the mussels. However, the remaining sauce is excellent over spaghetti.
Elisa... you are proposing a different type of recipe. Try this one... they are to die for! :) - rossella rago