Bocche di Dama
Bocche di Dama... the Queen of the almond based cookies from Puglia!
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 1 pound blanched almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 2 egg whites
- 4 ounces amarene or sour cherries in syrup
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powderd sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon, whole milk
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- To prepare the paste, boil the almonds and remove the peel. Once they are cold and somewhat dry, put them in a food processor or a blender and chop them finely. About 2 minutes.
- Put the chopped almonds in a bowl, add the lemon zest, the sugar and egg whites. Mix until the egg whites dilute the sugar and the mixture becomes a paste.
- Take a lump of mixture in your hand, roll it into a ball the size slightly smaller than a golf ball. Press your finger into the ball, insert in the opening 2 cherries and close the ball again by rolling it in your hands.
- Place all the cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 15-16 mins. at 350F. Let them cool.
- Make your icing by mixing the milk and sugar. The icing should be thick.
- Dip each cookies in the icing and put them to dry on a rack. Alternatively you can just dust some powdered sugar on them.
- Melt the chocolate and put it in a plastic bag. Cut a small end of the bag and decorate the cookies as you desire.
- Let the icing and chocolate dry completely for a few hours.
Nonna Romana Sciddurlo, Dessert & Cookie Recipes, Baking with Rossella, Puglia Recipes, Easy Recipes, All Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Easter Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, Christmas Cookies Recipes, Easter Cakes and Cookies, Cookies Recipes, Gluten Free Dessert Recipes, Mediterranean Diet Dessert Recipes, Thanksgiving Dessert Recipes, Almond Cookie and Dessert Recipes, Italian Wedding Cookies and Pastries
Amazing!! - abrattoli
Just wondering, the recipe states to bake for 30 minutes. This seems a lot, is this a mistake or th...
See Full Review >> - RhodaJoan
Baking time has been corrected! :) - rossella rago