Pasticciotti: Easy, delicious and fairly quick to make.
For 1 Dozen(s)
For the Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup Crisco or Lard
- 1/4 cup milk
For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg, beaten, for the egg wash
- To make custard:
- Sift the cornstarch and sugar then put in a saucepan.
- Add the milk and heavy cream and whisk lightly until you obtain a smooth mixture.
- Whisk in the egg, then heat on medium until custard thickens.
- Mix in the butter and almond extract. Remove from heat and cover custard with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming while it cools.
- To make pastry:
- In a food processor add the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Pulse until all mixed.
- Add the butter and Crisco then pulse until mixture looks like crumbly cornmeal.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla and mix until dough starts to form a ball.
- Turn out dough onto a board and lightly work dough until its smooth.
- Divide dough into two flattened rounds, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Starting with the first piece of dough, place it onto a floured board. Roll it out to 1/4" thick.
- Using a 3 inch pastry cutter or glass, cut out 12 rounds.
- Place each round into the mould and press into mould to remove all air.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of the custard to each of the moulds.
- Cover each with a 3" round of dough.
- Let chill in refrigerator for an hour or overnight.
- Brush tops with egg wash, then bake at 425° for 15 -18 minutes.
Use the Code CWN20 to Get 20% OFF
On my New T-Shirts!
You can freeze the uncooked pastries to cook at a later time. Before cooking, let defrost and warm to just below room temperature. If you prefer chocolate, you can fill the pastries with a chocolate custard.
What a fantastic recipe beautiful tasty little custard packages of goodness. ?? - Kul01
Great recipe, easy to follow with a yummy result!.. Love the custard! - LisCos6
What molds do I use? - cschin5
Everyone raves about this each time I make it. - BettyJane
Great job Frank! - rossella rago
These were excellent and so close to the ones we buy at the bakery! Just FYI - when making the past...
See Full Review >> - lindagiliberti
Excellent pastry cream, a definite keeper, will make again. I also used 1/4 teaspoon of salt in the ...
See Full Review >> - Starr
Everyone loves this recipe! - Geezerswife