Broccoli Rabe Soup with Sausage Meatballs
Broccoli Rabe Soup with Sausage Meatballs.
For 6 Person(s)
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic, shaved or minced
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 fresh parsley, minced
For the Soup:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 3 celery stalks, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 12 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, washed, ends trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces ditalini pasta, or any small cut you desire
- salt and pepper as desired
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- To make the meatballs:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Sausage meat, garlic, cheese and parsley. Mix together by hand until well combined.
- Roll out small Meatballs about 1/2 inch in diameter. Set aside onto a plate.
- To make the soup:
- Put a large stockpot over a medium-high flame and heat the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent and the celery has softened, bout 7-10 minutes.
- Add the water, bouillon cubes and crushed tomatoes. Bring the pot to a boil and add the meatballs. Boil for 5 minutes and add in the broccoli rabe.
- Return the pot to a boil and cook until the broccoli rabe is tender. About 5-7 minutes. taste for seasoning and season with salt and pepper as desired. Remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the ditalini until they are very al dente, about 2-3 minutes less than the package instructions.
- *The pasta will continue cooking in the hot soup. You don’t want to over cook it!
- Drain the pasta and add it to the soup. Let the pasta cook in the soup for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with crust bread and an extra Sprinkle of pecorino cheese.