Cheese Meatballs - Polpette di Formaggio
Cheese Meatballs. Meatless meatballs also known as "War Meatballs". Excellent as an appetizer or in tomato sauce with pasta!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Cheese Meatballs:
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces day old Italian bread (crust removed)
- 1 1/3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- extra virgin olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 56 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- fresh basil
- salt & pepper, to taste
The Nonna Knives are Back!
You can't cook without them!
- Make the Cheese Meatballs:
- Fill a pot (to deep fry) with about 4 inches of olive oil. Begin to heat oil.
- Beat eggs and add bread, continue beating until both eggs and bread are combined well. Add cheese, parsley, garlic, and baking powder. Combine well. Mixture will seem like a thick, sticky, cake batter.
- Form a “football” shape with about 2 tablespoons of mixture. Carefully add each “polpette” to hot oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Remove from pot with a slotted spoon and transfer to a platter lined with paper towels.
- Make the Sauce:
- Saute garlic in olive oil and add in tomatoes. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for about 45 mins. Add basil.
- The polpette may be added to the sauce. Simmer for a few minutes.
Please Follow me on Instagram!
These polpette may be eaten as an appetizer, with pasta, or as a meal. Feel free to add peas, sautï¿½ed peppers, or your own favorite vegetables to the sauce for a complete meal!
Family loved them! - Emchotty