Limoncello... a very refreshing after dinner liqueur!
For 2 Batch(es)
For the Limoncello:
- 12 medium sized very fresh organic lemons
- 750 ml Alcohol (grain alcohol)
- 750 ml water
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- Pour all the alcohol in a large sealable jar.
- Wash the lemons and with a very sharp knife cut the zest very finely without removing any of the white part of the skin.
- Place the zest in the jar with the alcohol. Repeat the process for all the lemons.
- Store the jar in a dark place for 20 days.
- After the 20 days, put 750 Ml of water in a pot and add the sugar. Boil the water so that the sugar completely melts.
- Let the water completely cool off and add the alcohol. Discard the zest.
- Mix the water and alcohol well and bottle.
- Let the Limoncello cure for about 20 days in a dark area.
- Place one bottle in the freezer for serving. Serve ice cold.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook
Nota Bene: The color of the Limoncello will vary depending on the color of the lemons. It is ok to use lemons that are also a little green. In this case the Limoncello will have a greener color but still be great!