Nonna Stefanina’s Gnocchi all’Acqua Calda - Hot Water Gnocchi
Nonna Stefanina’s Gnocchi all’Acqua Calda - Hot Water Gnocchi.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Gnocchi:
- 2 3/4 cups 00 or all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 24 ounces passata or tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Get the Products/Ingredients used in this Recipe: HERE!
- To make the Gnocchi:
- Place 2 cups of the flour on a clean work surface and make a well in the center. Add in a little of the water and mix with a fork until absorbed by the flour.
- Add in the oil, mixing it into the flour with the fork until absorbed.
- Add in the remaining flour and continue to mix it into the flour and oil.
- Begin kneading with your hands as you start to incorporate the remaining 3/4 Cup of flour.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and supple and no longer sticks to your hands.
- Take a chunk of dough and roll it into a rope about 1/2 inch thick. With a knife cut pieces 1 inch long.
- Using your index and middle finger, press on each gnocchi and gently drag it towards you, creating an indentation.
- To Freeze:
- Place the gnocchi on a baking sheet in a single layer. Place the tray in the freezer. Once the gnocchi are frozen they can be transferred to plastic bags and frozen for 2-3 months. Do not thaw the gnocchi before cooking. Just drop them frozen into salted boiling water.
- To cook the gnocchi bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Drop the gnocchi in and cook just until the gnocchi bob to the surface, about 3-4 minutes.
- To make the Sauce:
- Put a medium saucepan over a medium flame and heat the oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the tomatoes to the pan. Fill the can or. Jar a 1/4 of the way with water. Rinse out the tomato residue and add it to the pan as well. bring to a boil.
- Add the salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until the sauce has slightly thickened for 35-45 minutes. Taste for seasoning and season with salt as desired.
- Cook the Gnocchi until al dente. Drain and toss in the sauce for 1-2 minutes before serving with a generous sprinkle of grated cheese.