Pizze Rustiche Muffins
Pizza Rustica (AKA Pizza Piena) is an Easter favorite but, sometimes, you have a craving for the savory egg and cheese pie during other times of the year. Well, when I do, I make these: mini pizze rustiche! They are quick and portable for breakfast on the go or take along on a picnic. I made this recipe up one day and it has become a staple in our family. Enjoy! :)
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Pizze Rustiche:
- 18 large eggs
- 2 pounds grated cheese (I use a mix of parmiggiano and pecorino)
- 1/2 cup small diced prosciutto
- 1/4 cup all purpose flpour (I use 00)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ground pepper to taste
- Beat the room temperature eggs with a fork
- Add the cheese and stir until incorporated
- Stir the flour and baking powder into the mix
- Now add the prosciutto
- Stir well and sit aside
- You should have a mixture that is fairly dry but smooth (like cooked oatmeal). If the mixture is runny, add more grated cheese.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375F and grease muffin pans (don't use dark colored ones or the muffins will come out dark/overcooked)
- Spoon mixture into muffin pans to about 3/4 of the way up
- Bake in warm over for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden
Use the Code CWN20 to Get 20% OFF
On my New T-Shirts!
I usually make a big batch of these muffins and freeze them once they are cool. I take a few out as needed and they are just as fresh and delicious as the day I made them after they are reheated!