Testa di Turco per Rossella
Turkish Head: This is a very simple and unique recipe for an original Italian (actually Sicilian) treat...like you!!
For 30 Person(s)
- the dough
- 6 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 0.5 packets of Rapid Rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- the filling
- 3 pounds of whole milk ricotta
- 6 links of Italian sweet sausage, squeeze the meat out of the skin (you can use hot if that is your preference).
- 3 cups of grated parmigiano cheese (not shredded)
- and pepper, add to your taste.
- Mix the flour and ¾ of a cup of oil and salt into a bowl or food processor.
- In another bowl add 2 cups of warm water, yeast and sugar. When a light foam forms on the top, add the flour and mix until you have a ball of dough.
- Knead the dough for approximately 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough in 3 parts and rub the remaining oil over each dough ball. (the oil prevents the outer layer of the dough from crusting)
- Let the dough rise in individual balls until it is double in size, usually about an hour.
- In a large bowl mix the ricotta, sausage, 1 cup of parmigiano and salt and pepper (to your taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- When the dough is ready, take one piece and roll it out into a circle until thin (like a pizza).
- Spread the ricotta and sausage mix.
- Starting from the side closest to you, begin to roll the dough and mixure.
- Continue rolling until you have a long roll.
- From the left or right side, cut slices 3” wide.
- In a plate, put the rest of the parmigiano.
- Turn the open side of the roll slice facedown on the parmigiano and press gently.
- Turn the slice upside down and press gently again so both sides are covered with parmigiano.
- Place the slices, parmigiano side up, onto a bake pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until the top is a nice golden brown color.
- Remove from the oven, let them cool down to a warm temperature and serve plain or with a side of marinara sauce.
- This is a GREAT addition to any cookout, pizza party or any event...including Rossella's birthday!! Buon Appetito!!