Grandma Jennie's Mustaccioli
My Nonna & mother used to make these wonderful spicy chocolate biscotti. We have tried to perfect the recipe over the years. I hope my Nonna Giulia & mother Giovanna (Jennie) are proud!!
For 6 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 1/4 cup scalded milk, cooled
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 3 sticks butter, melted
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 1/8 cup citron, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped fine
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
For the Glaze:
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice or Grand Marnier
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- For the Cookies:
- Mix melted butter & chocolates together & cool. Simmer raisins in water til plump & cool.
- Beat eggs til fluffy. Add sugar gradually. Stir in butter & chocolate. Place sifted flour, baking powder & fruit in large bowl. Make a well & add egg, sugar, chocolate & butter mixture. Add milk. Mix by hand.
- Dough will be tacky. Refrigerate overnight.
- Pinch dough & roll out to 1 inch thick & 12 inches long. Flatten slightly. Cut on the diagonal.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes until top of cookie is not moist & slightly soft. DO NOT OVERCOOK.. Let the cookies cool
- For the Glaze
- Place liquid ingredients in a pan. Heat. Stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Dip cookies in glaze & allow to harden.