Butternut Squash, Potatoes and Fava Beans
Butternut Squash, Potatoes and Fava Beans... a perfect example of "Cucina Povera" from Puglia. This dish is also known as "Cucuzze, Patate e Fave"!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Cucuzze:
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 pound butternut squash
- 3/4 pound dry fava beans
- 1 medium onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- The night before, with a knife remove the heads (the black part) from the Fava beans.
- Put the fava beans in a pot, cover with water, about 1" over the Fava beans and add a pinch of salt. Let them soak overnight.
- In the morning, put the Fava beans on the stove and cook at very low flame for about two hours (depending on size of Fava beans) Taste and shut off flame when they are Al Dente.
- While they cook, cut the potatoes and the Butternut squash in cubes.
- Take a pan and add 5 Tbs of EV olive oil. Add the potatoes and the Butternut squash. Saute` for 3-4 minutes.
- Add enough boiling water to the pan to barely cover the potatoes and the squash. Cook for about 20 minutes. Taste a potato and shut off the flame when the potatoes are done... Al Dente.
- Combine the Fava beans, the potatoes and the Butternut squash in a serving platter.
- Slice the onion and saute` it in 1/2 Cup of EV olive oil. The onion has to turn golden brown. Pour over all the ingredients and serve.