Nonna Giulia's Stuffed Peppers
Nonna Giulia's Stuffed Peppers... and with the sauce you make a nice dish of pasta!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 56 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
For the Stuffing:
- 4 large yellow peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound grated pecorino cheese
- 1/4 pound plain bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup capers
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Making the Sauce:
- In a pot, add 4 Tbs of EV olive oil, the chopped onion and the garlic. Let the garlic and the onion saute and once the garlic turns golden add the crushed tomatoes and the parsley.
- Set the flame to medium and cover.
- Stuffing the Peppers:
- In a saute` pan add 1 Tbs of olive oil and the chopped meat. Let the meat brown and remove from the stove. Drain any fat and set aside.
- Wash the peppers, remove the stems and the seeds and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the browned meat, the cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, capers, eggs, 4 Tbs of olive oil, basil and parsley. Mix everything well. If the mix seems too dry, add a little milk.
- Stuff all the peppers but not all the way to the top. Fill to about 1/2 inch from the top.
- Place all the peppers in the sauce and continue to cook. Cooking time depends on the size of the peppers but it is about 30 mins. Check the tenderness of the peppers and the stuffing to determine when they are done. Remove the peppers from the sauce.
- Cook the Rienzi Rigatoni pasta in salted water to an al dente consistency and finish cooking the pasta in the sauce of the stuffed peppers.
- Serve by garnishing with Pecorino cheese.
Please Follow me on Instagram!
Thursday, 08 September 2016
This sounds so yummy; an interesting way to cook the peppers. I will be making it tonight. - Stregalibby