Orecchiette with Asparagus, Peas and Lemon Zest
Orecchiette with Asparagus, Peas and Lemon Zest: When Spring and Summer finally show up I want it to be reflected in whatever I eat! This pasta dish is a quick and easy way to eat your vegetables with lots of flavor. Orecchiette are the perfect cut because of the way they hold the peas, but you can use any pasta you like!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Orecchiette:
- 1 pound Orecchiette pasta
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 14 ounces frozen peas thawed
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or enough to cover the bottom of the pan)
- Trim the ends of the Asparagus and cut the spears info 1/2 inch pieces leaving the tips whole.
- Drop the Pasta into salted boiling water.
- In a sauté pan, heat the oil and sauté the Shallot for about 30 seconds (do not burn)
- Add the Asparagus and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the Peas and lemon zest and cook until the vegetables are soft (another 2-3 minutes)
- Add the al dente pasta to the pan and toss together for a minute or so. Turn off the heat and add the cheese allowing the residual heat to melt it into the pasta.
- Serve in warm bowls and with an extra sprinkle of cheese and lemon zest on top if you wish!