Panelle Siciliane - Sicilian Panelle, the original fast food of Sicily.
For 10 Person(s)
For the Panelle:
- 1 cup garbanzo flour
- 2 cups tepid water
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
Try La Pasta della Nonna in
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Combine flour, water, and a pinch of salt in a pot, mix well with an electric mixer (you will see bubbles continue mixing until all bubbles and lumps are clear).
- Next move pot to the stove and place on medium heat. Add the parsley and a pinch of salt and mix well. Also add a pinch of pepper as desired.
- Continuously stir flour/water on stove until thickened.
- Remove from stove, pour mix onto cutting board, spread mixture out on board and let cool.
- Once cooled cut into squares, about 3”x3” and about a 1/4" in thickness.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with vegetable oil, heat oil, once the oil is hot we are ready to fry the Panelle.
- You want each side of the Panelle to be a golden brown in color and crispy in texture.
- The amount of time it will take to fry depends on how hot the oil is. You don't want the oil too hot, you want to fry the Panelle slowly so that they don’t burn.
- You can serve the Panelle with marinara sauce for dipping, use them in a sandwich, or alone.
Appetizer Recipes, Side Dish Recipes, Sicilian Recipes, Easy Recipes, All Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Super Bowl Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, Memorial Day Recipes, 4th July Recipes, Labor Day Recipes, Summer Appetizer-Side Recipes, Nonna Francesca Balistreri, Christmas Appetizer Recipes, New Year's Eve Recipes
I have a question: sometimes my panelle fall apart while cooking, sometimes they fry up perfectly. W...
See Full Review >> - Mama DiMaggio
Love to serve this with ricotta and grated cheese on a seeded roll. - onceuponahook.com
This is DE-lish AND gluten free because it uses garbanzo flour. That makes me very happy - DonnaMarieSki