Pasta with Fresh Sardines
Pasta con le sarde... perfect for St. Joseph's Day!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Pasta:
- 1 pound bucatini (or thick spaghetti if bucatini are not available)
- 1 pound fresh sardines
- 2 handfuls of fresh fennel fronds
- 1 medium onion
- 3 salted anchovies
- 1 ounce sultanas
- 1 ounce pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon tomato concentrate
- 1 sachet of saffron
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash the fennel and boil in salted water. After 10 minutes take it out and chop finely.Keep the water for cooking the pasta later.
- Chop the onion finely and sweat gently in some olive oil until soft using a large frying pan with lid for this.
- Add the anchovies, the pine kernels and the tomato concentrate. When mixed well together add the sardines, the fennel and the sultanas.
- Splash with white wine, burn off the alcohol and break up the pieces of sardine and anchovies with a wooden spoon.
- Add the sachet of saffron, a little salt and pepper and leave to cook for about 10 minutes with the lid on.
- The sauce should not get too dry, but be moist. In the meantime, cook the pasta and, when ready, add to the sauce in the frying pan.
- Mix well and serve with a glass of chilled white wine.