Turkey Meatball Soup with Escarole
Turkey Meatball Soup with Escarole.
For 6 Person(s)
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Oil for frying
For the soup:
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 carrots, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 1 large white onion, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 3 celery stalks, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 large head escarole, end trimmed, washed and cut into strips
- To make the meatballs:
- Add all the meatball ingredients to a mixing bowl and using your hands, mix until well combined. Roll into small meatballs. Set aside.
- Put a skillet over a medium-high flame and heat the oil. Fry the meatballs in batches until golden. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- To make the soup:
- Crack the 3 eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Add a drop of oil to a sauté pan and scramble the eggs over medium-high heat. Crush the eggs using a fork to chop them up small.
- Put a large stock pot over a medium-high flame and heat the oil. Add the carrots, onions and celery and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs, escarole and egg and bring the pot to a boil once more. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the escarole is tender.
- Serve in bowls with some crusty Italian bread and a sprinkle of grated cheese.