Butternut Squash Sausage & Mushroom Pasta al Forno - Butternut Squash Sausage & Mushroom Pasta Bake
Butternut Squash Sausage & Mushroom Pasta al Forno - Butternut Squash Sausage & Mushroom Pasta Bake.
For 6 Person(s)
For the Pasta Bake:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 20 ounces butternut squash, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound pork sausage, casings removed
- 10 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound dried mezzi rigatoni
- 1 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, shredded or cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt and black pepper as desired
- Put a large sauté pan with a lid over a medium flame and heat 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add the onions and squash and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add salt as desired. Pour in the water, cover and cook until the squash is tender and easily mashed with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking put another sauté pan over a high flame and heat the remaining oil. Add the sausage and cook until crisp, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook until they begin to release some water, about 5 minutes. Add salt as desired.
- When the squash is cooked take a wooden spoon and roughly mash half of it.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the squash, sausage and mushrooms. Mix and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Oil a 9x13 inch pan. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Drop in the pasta and cook for half the time of the package instructions. Drain and add the pasta to the bowl with the squash, sausage and mushrooms.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and toss until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add half the pasta mixture to the baking pan and top with 1/4 cup of the grated cheese and half the mozzarella.
- Add the remaining pasta and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Add the remaining mozzarella and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the mozzarella has melted.