Cartellate - Christmas Fritters
Cartellate Time: It is not Christmas without Nonna's Cartellate!... Buon Natale!!! - Merry Christmas!!!
The video of this recipe is now available on the Cooking with Nonna Roku Channel and you can enjoy it on a large screen TV in the comfort of your living room.
For 3 Dozen(s)
For the Cartellate:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups Vin Cotto or Honey
- cinnamon powder
- olive oil for frying
- PS: You can purchase the Cartellate and Fig Vin Cotto HERE!
- In a KitchenAid Stand Mixer bowl, add the olive oil and the wine and mix the two. Add the flour and continue to mix until the flour and the liquids are completely amalgamated and the dough is firm.
- Cut a handful of the dough and pass it thru the pasta roller set at 3 until you have a flat and long strip of dough about three inches wide and ten inches long. Lay the strip on a wood board and with a ravioli cutter cut it into strips one inch wide and ten inches long.
- Fold each strip every other inch and attach the strip to the remainder of the strip in a circle to form a rose.
- Fry all the Cartellate in olive oil until they are lightly golden.
- Heat the Vin Cotto in a pan and while the Vin Cotto is still warm, dip each Cartellata in the Vin Cotto until it is completely covered. Drain any excess juice and place in a platter for storage. Before serving add a sprinkle of cinnamon. If you do not have Vin Cotto, you can substitute it with honey.
This Cartellate recipe is perfect for Christmas and in keeping with traditions should only be made at Christmas time. If you would like to enjoy Cartellate during the rest of the year, please make some Cartellate di Primavera or Summer... Here is the Recipe!
These came out great for me. However, anybody else's family make the Vin Cotto di Fichi with red win...
See Full Review >> - dsterne
My parents are from Mola di Bari, Puglia and my mother and I just made our cartellate this week! Thi...
See Full Review >> - tbattagl