Easter Birds Nest Cake
Easter Birds Nest Cake.
For 1 Batch(es)
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups 00 or all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 2 packets Vanillina or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup whole milk
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 7 tablespoons Anisette or Sambuca liqueur
- sprinkles to decorate
- small chocolate eggs for garnish
For the Birds Nest:
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (semisweet or milk)
- 1/2 cup all bran cereal (you can also use Rice Krispies cereal)
- To make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a tube pan with baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bows combine the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until pale yellow and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the oil and milk
- Beat in the dry ingredients and mix just until absorbed. Do not over mix. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is golden and springy, about 40 minutes. Cool before glazing.
- To make the glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk together the confectioners sugar and liqueur until smooth. Pour over the cake. Let dry.
- To make the nest:
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and pour in the all bran cereal. Mix with a spoon to coat all the cereal in chocolate. Turn the mixture out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and mold it into the nest shape with two spoons. Make a well in the center of the nest. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- Place the nest in the center of the cake and fill with the eggs.