Fig Cucciddati Cookies for Christmas
The famous Sicilian Fig Cucciddati cookies that everyone must make at Christmas time.
The video of this recipe is now available on the Cooking with Nonna Roku Channel and you can enjoy it on a large screen TV in the comfort of your living room.
For 1 Batch(es)
For the Filling:
- 1 pound dry figs
- vanilla rum
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the Dough:
- 2 pounds 00 flour, if unavailable use all purpose flour
- 1/2 pound Crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- milk as needed - about 1/4 cup
For the Glaze:
- powedered sugar
- lemon juice
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Put the figs in a bowl and cover them with Vanilla Rum. Let them soak for two days.
- After two days, put the figs, the walnuts and the raisins in a blender and chop finely.
- Put the mix in a pan, add the 1/4 cup of sugar and cook until the liquids dry up. Set aside to cool off.
- In a bowl, mix all the dough ingredients and add as much milk as necessary to make the dough soft and elastic. Cover it and let it rest for 30 mins.
- Spread the dough into a thin long flat strip about 3" wide.
- Spread the filling at the center of the dough and close it into a long roll.
- Cut the roll every 2" and then make an indentation on one side of the cut piece.
- Bake all your cookies at 375F for about 15 Min.
- Garnish with powdered sugar.
- In a bowl, mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until the sugar is melted but rather thick.
- With a brush spread the sugar over each cookie and immediately sprinkle the cookies with colored Christmas sprinkles.
- Let dry.