Italian-American Berry Shortcake
Italian-American Berry Shortcake.
For 1 Batch(es)
For the cake:
- 2 3/4 cups 00 or all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
For the cream cheese whipped cream:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 packets Vanillina powder or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
For the limoncello soak:
- 1 cup limoncello liqueur
- 1 cup water
For the filling and decoration:
- 1/4 cup amarena cherries
- 1/4 cup strawberries in syrup
- 3 tablespoons syrup from either to drizzle
- fresh berries and confectioners sugar as desired
- Yield: One Cake
- Get the ingredients needed for this recipe HERE
- To make the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 10 inch bundt pan with butter or baking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest together on high speed until fluffy and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and add in the Olive Oil and lemon juice. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Alternate adding in the dry ingredients with the milk ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until all the dry ingredients are absorbed. Do not over mix.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a plate to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese whipped cream:
- Add the cream cheese and powdered sugar to a bowl. Using an hand mixer, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla to another bowl and beat on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add in the cream cheese mixture to the whipped cream and beat on medium speed until creamy, 1-2 minutes.
To make the soak:
- In a bowl combine the limoncello and water. Mix until combined.
- *if you want a stronger or weaker limoncello flavor, you may adjust the quantities as desired.
To assemble the cake:
- Once the cake has cooled, slice it in half and brush each of the cut sides with the limoncello mixture.
- Place the bottom half of the cake cut side up onto a serving plate and dollop the cream cheese whipped cream on top. Add the cherries and strawberries in syrup and drizzle the syrup as desired.
- Place the top of the cake, cut side down on top and full the center with fresh berries. Dust with confectioners sugar.