Mama Rosa's Lasagna
This recipe started with my Mama Rosa and now I make it too. Since it's Mother's day on Sunday I made her lasagna. A way to keep her memory alive. She is a Mother to 3 Sons and 1 Daughter... that's me... and also a Nonna to 6 grandchildren and 7 greatgrandchildren. Miss you... love & kisses... Mama Rosa.
Also known as Lasagne.
For 6 Person(s)
- 35 ounces peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt & pepper
- 1 pound lasagna pasta
- 1 pound 93% ground beef
- 2 pounds ricotta
- 1 pound shredded/grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
- For the Sauce:
- Empty container of tomatoes & sauce into a food mill or blender and puree... set aside
- In a pot, add 3-4 tablespoons of EVOO heat and then add the chopped onions until translucent then add the puree sauce.
- Add 1 teapoon of sugar and season with salt & peper. Cook for about 15 mins.
- For the Meat:
- In a frying pan cook the chop meat. Break up the chop meat & cook until brown and drain.
- Add the cooked chop meat to the sauce and cook for another 10 mins.
- When done, set aside.
- For the Pasta:
- Put water in a 5 Qt pot and add 1 tbsp salt to it and bring water to a rapid boil.
- Add the pasta 2 pieces at a time and stir gently until all the pasta is in the pot.
- Return to a rapid boil.
- Cook uncovered and stirring gently occasionally for about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Separated cooked lasagna and lay each one on wax paper to keep from sticking together.
- In the 13 X 9 inch baking pan spread some meat sauce on bottom of pan.
- Place about 4-5 pcs of the cooked pasta lenghtwise over the sauce, overlapping edges.
- Place a little bit of sauce on top of the pasta, then spoon some ricotta all over the pasta and then sprinkle the mozzarella over it.
- Cover with some meat sauce and then sprinke the grated cheese.
- Keep on repeating the pasta, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, meat sauce and grated cheese until you reach the top of the baking pan.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Place tray of Lasagna into the oven that has been pre heated at 375.
- Cook for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- After pan is taken out of the oven, put foil back on the pan and let it stand for about 5-10 mins before serving.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook...
The Best Mother's Day Gift For Your
Mamma & Nonna!
Please Follow me on Instagram!
Pre heat at 375.... Cook for about for about 30 mins... remove foil and bake for another 5 mins....recover the pan and let pan stand for about 5 mins before serving. Enjoy!! 5/6/11 Happy Mother's day to all<3 6-8 persons
Mama Rosa\'s Lasagna was a recipe handed down by my mother who is no longer with us. It\'s so good I...
See Full Review >> - Mimi
This sauce is much like my sicilian sauce, the only thing I add more, is a pinch of baking soda, onc...
See Full Review >> - Mariadavola1
This is the recipe from my Nunun(grandma) and my mom that I have making for more than fifty years. M...
See Full Review >> - txsandy
This is my mothers & grandmothers recipe from Avellino. Except we add garlic to the sauce and f...
See Full Review >> - jhunter