Mussels in Red Sauce
Mussels in Red Sauce - Zuppa di Cozze in Tomato Sauce. An excellent appetizer to be enjoyed all year long.
For 2 Person(s)
For the Mussels:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, whole, divided
- 2 pounds mussels
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt and hot pepper, as desired
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- Wash the mussels under fresh water, scrape the shells as necessary and remove all the beards.
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 3 cloves of garlic into a pot.
- Once the garlic turns golden, add the mussels. Occasionally stir the mussels. After 4 minutes, add the white wine and 1 tablespoon of the parsley. Cook for another 3 minutes and set aside. By now all the mussels will have opened. Any mussels that do not open discard as they may not be good.
- In another pan, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and the other 3 cloves of garlic. Once the garlic turns golden, add the crushed tomatoes and salt and hot pepper as desired.
- Let the tomatoes cook for 4 minutes. Filter the broth from the mussels and add it to the sauce. Let everything cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the mussels to the sauce and the remainder of the parsley. Cook for 7 more minutes and serve with crusty Italian bread.
Please Follow me on Instagram!