Potato Gateau - Gatto`
Potato Gateau - Gatto`, Palermo style as prepared by Nonna Liliana.
For Mother's Day:
For 10 Person(s)
For the Gateau:
- 5 pounds Idaho potatoes, washed and peeled
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 whole milk
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling on top and greasing the pan
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound ham
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Drop the potatoes in and cook until a fork can easily penetrate into a potato, about 30 minutes.
- Oil a 9x13 inch pan with extra virgin olive oil. Set aside
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees
- Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. While the potatoes are still warm out the potatoes through a ricer and mix well with a spatula until smooth.
- Add the milk, butter and cheese to the potatoes. Taste for seasoning and add salt as desired. Add the eggs to the mixture and mix until well combined.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Spread half of the potato mix evenly into the pan.
- Over the potatoes put a layer of provolone followed by a layer of ham and then mozzarella.
- Spread the rest of the potato mix into the pan. With a fork refine the surface and create some grooves.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and a thin coat of breadcrumbs.
- Bake the Gateau for 45-60 minutes. At the end, place the Gateau under the broiler to give it a little color.