Ribollita: one of the many signature dishes from Tuscany.
For 6 Person(s)
For the Ribollita:
- 1 pound stale bread with hard crust
- 3/4 pound white beans
- 5 ounces EV olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 medium cabbage
- 1/2 black cauliflower (White will also do)
- 1 medium sized potato
- 1 small bunch - Swiss chard
- 1/4 pound pig skins cut into strips (Pancetta is a good substitute as well)
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks of Celery
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup tomato paste
- In a pot put cold water and the beans to cook. Add to the beans the pig skins.
- If the beans dry up add hot water to them and continue cooking.
- In a separate pot add some oil and then add: 1/4 of a large onion, the garlic, two stalks of celery and a pinch of parsley. All these should be finely chopped.
- After 3 mins. add the vegetables cut in large chunks (about 1 inch). First add the cabbage, then the cauliflower, the Swiss chard and the potato. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the tomato paste.
- If the vegetables get dry add some broth form the beans.
- Once the beans are cooked, trasfer 1/4 of the beans in the vegetables pot. Transfer the pig skins as well.
- The remaining beans should be mashed and mixed in their broth.
- Pour the broth and mashed beans in the vegetable pot.
- Stir everything and cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Prepare a large bowl by lining it with the thin bread slices and pour all the vegetables in the bowl.
- Cover it and serve after 20 minutes.